Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Bushfires in Bendigo


Last weekend we experienced the worst bushfires we have ever seen in Bendigo. The bush was tinder dry and there was a huge fire storm that raced across the bush and into the residential fringe of town.
The speed of the fire was amazing and the wind was ferocious, leaving a deadly trail of destruction. Here are a few photos of the weekend. There is a smell in the area, of ash and soot, and devastation - it's an unusual smell and once it gets up your nose it's hard to clear it away.
Jim was a hero and travelled to Redesdale to help protect the town, then came back to help out in Bendigo - what an amazing effort. Helen was helping out with Firefighter welfare and making sure everyone had enough food and drink. Here is a photo of Jim on Sunday - he took the media on a bus tour of the fire damage and one of them took his photo at this burnt out property.




There were ferocious fires all around the state and it was hard to imagine what it would be like to face up to a fire front like this. Would you have the courage to stay and fight?


The heat of the fire is so intense that it melts the metal in the cars and it runs along the ground like water over oil. It's hard to believe the intensity of the heat.

This photo below is of Australia's Prime Minister Kevin Rudd, and Victorian Premier John Brumby. A picture tells a thousand words and I wonder what John Brumby was saying. You can see the pressure and concern on the PMs face - there is much bad news to come.


Please give generously to the Bushfire appeals and if you meet a CFA firefighter, give him or her a pat on the back and let them know how proud you are of what they do.
Helen



6 comments:

Jan said...

Oh Helen...it's just so tragic. :( Being in the USA, and seeing my homeland, State & hometown pull together once again in this tragedy, makes me so proud to be an Aussie.

I have been following it very intensely since the nightmare began. My parents live up the road from the Long Gully Pool, so it was a threat to them, and I have a brother in Maiden Gully. We will all know of friends who have lost their family and/or homes...in Bendigo & in Victoria. It's just gut wrenching!

Thank you and well done to you both for helping. :)

Helen said...

Thanks for your comment Aussie - I am glad to hear that your family are safe - I was thinking about you.

You probably already know this but web sites like www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au and www.abc.net.au have lots of local coverage.

Kind regards

Helen

V Yonkers said...

When I saw the map of where the fires were, I thought of your great comment on my blog at New Years. My first thought was to find out if you were safe. I'm so glad you blogged as I checked in on a regular basis.

It is amazing how the internet brings such a human touch to tragedies. I know after 911 we received emails from many to make sure we were safe (we have family in the metropolitan area and some of those killed were colleagues of my husband, even though we live 180 miles away).

I hope you know that all around the world, our thoughts are with those touched by the the fires (and the threat conditions still present).

Helen said...

Hi V Yonkers - it's nice to hear from you and I really appreciate your care and concern.

thank you

Helen

Mike said...

G'day from one Bendigonian to another

Helen said...

Gidday Mike - nice to hear from you. Tell me more about you....