Monday, October 13, 2008

weekend in the garden


Another busy weekend in my household - after some recent renovations there is work to be done to get the garden in shape for the summer. I have relocated the pelargonium - at least that’s what I think it is. It’s a cutting that I took from a bush on the side of a road, and stuck in a pot and a couple of months later it looks lovely. Let’s see how it goes in a big, grown up pot. It should love this spot and even flower for me in a couple of weeks. We’ll see. The pelargonium is in a special pot, a pot with lots of years under it's belt and lots of sentimental memories.





We are going to try to plant rhubarb again. Rhubarb is an old fashioned plant and I’m not sure if I even like to eat rhubarb, but I had a plant and it died so I am determined to try harder to keep one alive. Rhubarb grows from a crown, and apparently the leaves will die off but the rhubarb will shoot again in the winter rains. My experiment has proven this to be untrue. A dried up, crispy rhubarb crown will not shoot up after the rains. Anyway, I have a kind friend that has donated another rhubarb crown, and I promise to take better care of it this time. And even water it occasionally. I am in need of a miracle and I will let you know how I go.



Next project - lawn and rose garden. So much to do - so little time!




No comments: